Unfortunately, whenever I feel like I'm on top of things, it usually means that I've miscalculated my to-do list and will therefore soon be at school until way past normal (and/or way before normal) in order to get myself back to Only-A-Little-Behind. This happens a lot around major grading-related milestones...progress reports and quarterlies being the two biggies. I've always considered myself a good time manager, but in teaching, there's no such thing as good time management. There's just bad time management and better time management.
The good news about being overwhelmed by the amount of grading, planning, and copying that needs to happen before Friday's trip to Florida is that I have something to distract me. And distractions I need as I wait for a response from the sellers of My Maybe Possibly Future House.
I am the lady in the waiting. Over the last few weeks, I have waited to see the house, waited for a response to my offer, waited for information from inspections, waited for information from more inspections, waited for estimates, and now I am waiting to see if the sellers will accept the price reduction and contract changes we proposed Friday.
I feel like I'm doing a pretty good job of being calm and patient about it. Tommy, the organist at my church, keeps reminding me not to get too attached just yet. Anything can happen. And he's right, and knowing how I felt when the last house fell through, I really don't want to get attached and then be heartbroken. I hadn't put a dime into that house, and I sobbed for a good twenty minutes after I got the phone call. I'm already at least $2000 deep in this one. Just thinking about the money I'll lose if this falls through makes me want to cry.
It reminds me a little of that story that I told about the toenail removal a couple of days ago. I really, really thought I had my nerves under control when that doctor was jabbing my toe with the long, painful needle. It wasn't until I turned and looked at the last minute that the anxiety (and unconsciousness) rushed over me.
I hope that doesn't happen with this house. I hope that my patience doesn't turn into sad disappointment or overwhelming stress. Oh how I hope it won't! It would be great if tomorrow evening they accept my proposed changes without a second thought, and from there, I walk a smooth path to home ownership. But the fact of the matter is, there is no guarantee.
So until I sign on the dotted line and hand over a check on Halloween, I'll just have to continue wishing and hoping and waiting. The stress of quarterlies and sub plans will have to occupy my thoughts like sugarplum fairies at Christmas, and my trip to Florida this weekend will have to block out thoughts of anything but volleyball, tall hot guys, and my really terrible tan lines.
![]() |
| I look like the Tennis lady, but less tan and fit. Who wouldn't be crazy about that? |

No comments:
Post a Comment