Saturday, August 30, 2014

A Post A Day

A few years ago, I spent Lent writing a blog called A Thing A Day, where I gave away at least one thing daily in an attempt to simplify, and in turn prioritize, my life.  I was 25, and at the time, I was living in a house that I wasn't really keen on, with women I never really bonded with, in a neighborhood where people kept to themselves.  The house also didn't have heat, a fact which alone would've left me unhappy, but coupled with all of the other isolating factors, I was pretty miserable.  On top of all of that, I was going out with a string of men who weren't for me, and I wanted to but could not completely let go of the guy that I dated in college.  So though I didn't recognize it at the time, I really needed those 40 days to reexamine where I was at and what was important, and I looked forward to each afternoon when I could think back on where I came from and who I was.

This past year, in an attempt to yet again make sense of life complications, I tried another blog.  It started as posts about online dating, but it morphed into an unfocused and undisciplined string of pieces on God only knows what.  Worst of all, I spent a lot of the time trying to seem honest but hiding things I was too embarrassed to share, with others or with myself.  I won't share that link with you.  I'm not terribly proud of it.

This month, a friend of mine, Denise Hopkins, is doing a Painting a Day, and she challenged others to pick up some sort of daily creative outlet for the month as well.  I have always been a writer in some capacity.  I have plenty of talents, but writing has always been my best mode of expression.  Since my best writing has always centered around objects or experiences, things tangible and/or present, I hope to spend this month sharing with you day by day little moments in the life of an almost 29-year-old woman.  I do not know where that will lead us.  I will not claim any specific theme or focus.  I do not promise not to get on soapbox at some point, and I do not promise to be publicly honest about all facets of my life, either.  I will probably talk about how happy I am and then secretly go weep in my bed because I'll be 30 in 475 days and I thought I'd have at least two boyfriends and one kid by now.  But I promise that I will write at least one sentence every day, and I promise that at least one of those sentences will resemble something akin to humor.  You are in no way obligated, but I invite you to read along as September unfolds.  Please let me know what you think.  I love detailed compliments, but I will accept hate mail as well.


To-day I can only gather [this afternoon]
And put it into my lunch-box,
For I have time for nothing
But the endeavour to balance myself
Upon a broken world.
-Amy Lowell, "September, 1918"


2 comments:

  1. Love that you are doing this and eager to read it.
    Always thoroughly enjoy each of your blogs. Don't know how I lost track of the last one but there is no way I will get behind on this one.
    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebekah, I always enjoy your writing and look forward to reading whatever you choose to share with the world. And knowing you, there will be more than one clever, funny line in each and every post. Write on!

    ReplyDelete